Insanely sane… Surviving qualmless.

Insanely sane… Surviving qualmless.
I'm not a perfect person, But I never meant to do those things; And so I have to say before I go, That I just want myself to know. I've found out a reason for me,; To change who I used to be A reason to start over new, and the reason is you. I've found a reason to show, A side of me you didn't know; A reason for all that I do, Before I let you go...

Sunday, April 19, 2009

A trubute to "Friedrich Holderlin".



'Another day'

Another day. I follow another path,
Enter the leafing woodland, visit the spring
Or the rocks where the roses bloom
Or search from a look-out, but nowhere

Love are you to be seen in the light of day
And down the wind go the words of our once so
Beneficent conversation...

Your beloved face has gone beyond my sight,
The music of your life is dying away
Beyond my hearing and all the songs
That worked a miracle of peace once on

My heart, where are they now? It was long ago,
So long and the youth I was has aged nor is
Even the earth that smiled at me then
The same. Farewell. Live with that word always.

For the soul goes from me to return to you
Day after day and my eyes shed tears that they
Cannot look over to where you are
And see you clearly ever again.

                                               ----- Friedrich Holderlin.

 

Had an assignment about “Romantic Poets”. Searching for a suitable poem, came across this one by Friedrich Holderlin, and stuck their. Could neither move from the poem nor stop reading it. Was already appalled by this poet when ’had first read his “Longing for Death” and consequently his biography. But when ’came across this one, was simply spellbound. Maybe, this is one of the best poems that ’ve come across.

 Though not strictly considered amongst the Romantic Poets of the era, Holderlin is still considered one of the best poets of German Romanticism. Having been abandoned by his family members for having an insane streak and subsequently cared after by a certain ardent admirer of his, he is one of the most admired poets of the century.  And even horrifying enough is to know that being a world famous poet by the end of his days; his funeral was consciously avoided by every member of his family.

 Holderlin was adverse to the artificiality of the society around him, and as a consequence which he constantly withdrew into himself, deaf to the living world around him. This solipsistic existence of his was said to be triggered by the death of his only love “Diotima”, who though provided him with solace when his whole world of relations collapsed around him resulting into his isolation, died in the prime of the relation. Her death never left him in peace until he left this mortal existence to unite with his only love; forever. Horrified by the ceremony society bestowed upon the dead, in which the most loved one of the parted is lost in the crowd, he shunned all social existence.

I bow down to one of the best and greatest poets of the Romantic 18th century era. Wherever you are, you rest deepest within my heart forever. Death at least once unable to uproot socially my admirations for you…

 

“Silent now let me be! Never hence forth let me know

This, my deadly disgrace, so that in peace I may

Hide myself where it’s lonely

And the parting at least be ours.”





Please do read and comment on my efforts if you find this post popping up anywhere near you :P

2 comments:

Phoenix said...

oo so u r from UG 2 COMP.LIT! good good! now all i have to know who u are...

Diya said...

great, carry on :)